Title IX Compliance
PROHIBITING SEX-BASED DISCRIMINATION
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”) is a federal law that prohibits sex-based discrimination in all educational programs and activities, including athletic programs. No person shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity operated by HCOE. Title IX protects all participants in HCOE’s educational programs and activities, including students, parents, employees, and job applicants. HCOE does not discriminate on the basis of sex. Discrimination on the basis of sex can include sexual harassment and sexual violence.
In addition to Title IX, the California Education Code prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in schools. (California Education Code §§ 220-221.1.) Other state and federal laws also prohibit discrimination and ensure equality in education. Please refer to the following specific policies and procedures regarding sexual harassment:
Personnel – Superintendent’s Policy 4030(a)
Community Relations – Board Policy 1312.4(a)
Students – Board Policy 5145.3(a)
Students – Board Policy 5145.7(a)
Title IX Coordinator: Luke Biesecker, Superintendent
Arcata School District Office 1435 Buttermilk Lane Arcata, CA 95521
707-822-0351, ext. 4
For more information
- Website of the United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/index.html
- Webpage on sex discrimination at http://www2.ed.gov/policy/rights/guid/ocr/sex.html
- Review United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, Know Your Rights documents:
- Title IX prohibits sexual harassment and sexual violence: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/title-ix-rights-201104.pdf.
- Title IX prohibits discrimination against pregnant or parenting individuals: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/dcl-know-rights-201306-title-ix.pdf.
- Website of the California Department of Education Office of Equal Opportunity: http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/eo/
- Webpage on Gender Equity/Title IX: http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/eo/genequitytitleix.asp.